Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday #3 Paint.net

First of all, let me just give a shout-out to the creator of pretty much all the textures and layers I use, Jerry @ Shadowhouse Creations.
Secondly, if you don't have Paint.net already, that's what this tutorial is going to be using, so you can download it here.

Today, I'm going to show you how to make this in three layers. (Get excited!)
This is my favorite picture from our wedding day with our song lyrics imposed on top. Pretty spiffy, right?

Start out with a blank canvas. Pick your size. I'm going to do 800 x 600 pixels.


Add your image.  Optional: make your picture black and white.
(You may have to finagle it to fit your canvas.)



Next, find/type the words you want to add. I would recommend putting them in Notepad or Microsoft Word. You'll have to copy and paste lots of things and it's easier to keep it open in the background than to rewrite everything if you need the words again. (Trust me on this one!)


(I'm going to make the picture layer invisible by clicking the box beside the layer. It'll make it easier to see.)
Add a new layer by clicking on the green plus sign in your layers box. Click on the text tool. I chose Windsong size 48 for the first layer of words. Copy and paste the words into Paint.net. If it is super long, you'll have to manually add breaks or the words will run off the screen. Do this *AFTER* you choose the font you plan to use. Once you have the words set up the way you want, make them white by clicking on the color white in your color palette.



Add another layer for the smaller text. Click back on the color black and use the text tool to copy and paste your words again. This time, we're using the same font, size 14. After you set it up the way you want, make it white.
Make the background visible again by checking the box beside the layer. 
If all the words are lines up to your satisfaction, you're done.
If you need to adjust one of the layers, click on it and adjust accordingly. BE SURE that the layer you're trying to change is highlighted in blue in your layer box.

If you want to add textures, add a new layer and paste the image now. Play with the layer property by clicking on the property button in the layer box to see which one gives you the effect you want. 
(You can click on this image for the bigger version then save it to your computer to use it. Don't forget to go let Jerry know his work is AWESOME!)

I copied and pasted the above texture into a new layer, then changed it property to Color Burn, pressed 'ok' and VOILA!


Once you're done, flatten the image by going to Image then Flatten (Ctrl + Shift+ F) and save!

It seems like a lot of steps but it's really simple once you get the hang of it, promise! Experiment until you get what you want. You're not limited to a specific number of undoes with this program so have fun, go mad! I'm not expert but if you have any questions, leave me a comment or email me at ceelotyson@gmail.com and I'll do my best to help!



Because I love you guys so much, here's a little inspiration/background music while you work!
Train: Marry Me




I'd love to see what you guys come up with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment