Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday #2 Clever Wedding Thank You Cards

This week, I used Tutorial Tuesday as an excuse to do (read: "start") my Thank You cards from our wedding. I know I'm late but (as per last Wedding Wednesday) I was super early with my Shower Thank You's. It evens out.

The above card is based on this Save the Date.
As she says, when the card is opened, the reader finishes "tying the knot" (da-da-cha!)

As I've stated before, I only use tutorials for a guideline until something goes wrong so I'm going to do a short version, then the long version for problem solving or because there may still be people on the planet that are capable of reading instructions before you start a project. If that's you, please leave me a comment. I'd love to meet you!
Short version:
  • Create card 
  • Print card
  • Fold in half
  • Punch holes
  • Cut ribbon
  • Attach 1st button
  • Loosely tie knot
  • Test length of ribbon
  • Attach 2nd button
  • Cut excess ribbon (Optional - the extra ribbon can help hold the button in place.)
Voila! 
Now onto the pictures and explanations!

Supplies:
  • Cardstock
  • Computer -or- Crafting supplies (Depends on how you want to make the cards. I'm better with graphics, personally.)
  • Ribbon
  • Button
  • Hole Puncher
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers (Optional but will save SO much time!)
Computer graphics - yay!
Tip: if you print a line to follow while cutting like I do, remember to only print the line on one side in case the sides don't line up perfectly.

Cut the cards.

Fold each card in half. (Now is also the time to cut off any excess paper.)

Punch a hole through the front and back.

Cut the ribbon with about an inch leeway past the holes where the buttons will go. 
(You'll have to experiment with this part to get it right but it's better to have too much than too little.)

Cut the ends of the ribbon diagonally so it'll be easier to string through the buttons.
(This is where the tweezers come into play.)

String the first button and tie a knot on the back of the button to hold it in place.

So far it should look like this.
Next come the big knot...

From here, you'll have to work with the card mostly closed. The ribbon I used could be untied if I had to open the card but I don't know if all ribbon or string will be untied as easily.

Attach the 2nd button using the same method as the 1st.
(Optional: cut the excess ribbon.)

Voila!
Front:

Back:

Inside (unopened):

Inside (opened):


We're also including business cards we got for free during a promotion from Vistaprint.
It's got our favorite love quote that we feel describes us perfectly.
They're bluer than pictured!


Let me know what you think!



If you want the template I used, e-mail me at ceelotyson@gmail. I don't know how to make PDFs yet but I can e-mail you the image! I'm by no means a pro so you'll have to tweak it for your personal use. If you're extra nice, I'll go ahead and change the name or text if you ask nicely. 


1 comment:

  1. love this tutorial! been going crazy on trying to find an easy way to do this..the buttons are so cute and useful!

    ReplyDelete